Sunday, January 20, 2013

Asian Steak Stir Fry Over Noodles

In 2012 I realized I have more anxiety than someone who is coined as "normal". Since I'm only human it wasn't easy admitting that to myself. But during the majority of last year I had several spells of depression that made all aspects of my life very dark. (Cheery topic, huh?)

It seemed that no matter how much I entertained the idea of getting a new hobby, hanging out with friends, and channeling my energy into something other than the less than perfect aspects of my life, I did not have the motivation to actually partake in any of those activities. I have never felt more like a lame ass than during those moments. Seriously.

I thank my lucky stars that I discovered the more and more I cooked I did not feel bad, I felt good. In fact, I felt great. I had heard that when you're depressed it feels like there are only dark clouds around you. Even though it would not seem like it, there would come a day when all of the dark clouds disappeared and there would only be the bright, white, fluffy clouds around you.

Well, I'm smiling as I type this because I've recently woken up to those bright clouds. Granted, there are still a couple of grey skies lingering but in the last few mornings the air has smelled differently and the way the sun spills its rays on my skin has made me feel renewed. It has felt like I'm falling back in love with life.

For anyone who hasn't suffered from depression this last statement probably seems extreme and dramatic. But for those who can relate to what I'm saying you know how amazing it feels to wake up and feel like there is something you haven't felt in a long time...and that feeling is hope.

In celebration of this feeling I decided to stir fry a vegetable medley and cook up a hearty sirloin steak. In turning over a new leaf I am trying to make a conscious effort to appreciate Ian for being there for me so I decided to make him a thank you dinner. Lord knows this past year was a roller coaster for us and I feel like I'm seeing him through new eyes, too. Since Ian loves Chinese food and steak I thought I'd combine the two and pour them over some Chinese noodles. And he loved it (go figure)!

Ingredients:

  • 18 oz Sirloin Steak (1 inch thick)
  • 4 oz of Rice Sticks (any brand will do)
  • 6 Baby Bell Peppers
  • 1 bunch of Green Onion
  • 4 oz Baby Carrots
  • 1 bag of raw baby Spinach
  • 1 bottle of Korean BBQ Sauce (roughly 17 oz)
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Black Pepper
  • Garlic Powder
Cooking Directions:

  • Marinade the steak with half of the Korean BBQ sauce and let sit in the refrigerator for 3 hours
  • Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Take a medium pot of water and heat over medium high heat
  • In a large frying pan add a desired amount of olive oil (roughly 2 Tbsp if unsure) and let heat over medium heat
  • On a cutting board quarter the bell peppers and remove the seeds
  • Quarter the carrots and then dice the green onion
  • Add the carrots into the frying pan since they will take the longest to soften and brown
  • Add a desired amount of ground pepper and a desired amount of garlic powder (personally, I add a lot!)
  • Once the carrots are browned add the bell peppers and saute
  • Once the bell peppers are softened add the remainder of the Korean BBQ sauce into the frying pan
  • Then add the bag of spinach and let wilt
  • Finally, add the green onion into the pan
  • Cover and let simmer
  • Take the marinaded steak and place it in the oven for 4 minutes and then flip and let bake for another 4 minutes for medium rare before taking out of the oven and setting aside
  • Add the rice sticks into the hot (but not boiling) water and let soften for roughly 8 minutes before draining
  • On a plate serve a healthy portion of the noodles and a large scoop of the sauteed vegetables and then top with a portion of the steak


2 comments:

  1. This sounds both wonderful (personally) and delicious (the food)! I like that you added spinach - I do love it and would like to throw it in more places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah! The spinach really added some texture and flavor. I've realized most people either like spinach raw or cooked - I happen to think it tastes pretty great either way! Popeye clearly made an impression on me. :)

    ReplyDelete