Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Kolaches (Sausage, Cheese, & Jalapenos)

At the end of my last post I mentioned we have been eating out a lot. And by a lot, I mean...a ton. And by a ton, I mean we've been spending money at the grocery store and then coming home and ordering a pizza from Giovanni's...because...their pizza is the shhh - ok, see? Right there, already distracted thinking about Giovanni's pizza. It is really that delicious.

But one thing Ian and I talked about recently (as in today) is saving up money for our Honeymoon. We couldn't be like the cool kids and rush to the airport after the wedding to an amazing destination. I wish we could have but unfortunately with all of the big transitions it has wiped us out. The only leg we have to stand on is solid, don't misunderstand, but it is only one leg. (And it's getting much bigger after eating all this pizza...)

I digress...we've pinky promised one another that we will both do our best to not spend any extra money on Starbucks, Chinese Food, H&M Clothes, GIOVANNI'S, you know...start saving again. So as you know, I prefer to see the glass half full versus half empty and I am determined to do everything I can while having fun to save every dollar for our trip to South Korea. In review of this half full glass I have an amazing kitchen aid not to mention some amazing cooking gear that were gifts from our wedding. On top of that, I do love to cook and I am ready for the challenge.

So with that said, the one food I am missing the most from Indianapolis (currently) are Kolaches. Yes...they are buttery, starchy, and stuffed with zesty ingredients making my mouth water at the thought of them. While the Kolache Factory is a chain there are no Kolache Factory's anywhere on the East Coast. In fact, the furthest east the Kolache Factory has traveled is Cincinnati, OH, which is unacceptable to my taste buds. So I made my own. I followed this recipe pretty closely with a few modifications from Sausage and Cheese Kolaches but because my inner fat kid came out I doubled the recipe...and I'm not sorry.

** Just as a warning my ingredients are twice as much as you would need for the standard 15 Kolaches. And finally, here's my last side note: because I LOVE the dough so much my kolaches only made 22 when they should have made 30. (Again, the fat kid came out and took over my body. But I'm not sorry. Who said I was sorry??!) **


Ingredients:

  • 28 oz active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup water, lukewarm
  • 2 cup milk
  • 12 tbsp butter, divided
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 9 cups flour (+/- ½ cup)
  • 15 slices of cheese
  • 30 cooked breakfast sausage links
  • 2 jalapeƱos, finely chopped

     Cooking Directions:

    • Add both packets of yeast and lukewarm water to the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes, until foamy.
    • Heat 8 tbsp. of the butter and milk in a small saucepan until the butter has melted and the milk is lukewarm. Remove from heat and add to the yeast mixture. 
    • Add the eggs and stir slowly until the eggs are incorporated. 
    • Add the sugar and salt and stir gently.
    • Add the flour one cup at a time while stirring the dough. Keep adding flour until the dough becomes workable, but still tacky. (Adding too much flour will cause the dough to be dense, so it is better to slightly underestimate and add more later.) 
    • Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until doubled in size, between one and two hours.
    • After it has doubled in size, punch the dough down then cover and let rise in the refrigerator at least 5 hours, preferably overnight.
    • Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into 30 equal-sized balls around 2 inches in diameter. Place the balls of dough on a sprayed baking sheet. Flatten the balls into ovals and make a long indention into the center using your thumb for the filling. If the dough is too cold and difficult to work with, cover and allow the dough to rest for 10 to 20 minutes.
    • Place half a slice of cheese into the indention, then top with a sausage link and some chopped jalapeƱo. 
    • Fold the dough around the fillings, pinching the edges together. Place on the lined baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining dough.
    • Cover and allow the dough to rest while preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, or for about 20 minutes. This will bring the dough close to room temperature before baking.
    • Melt the remaining butter and brush onto the kolaches before putting them into the oven.
    • Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
    • Let the kolaches cool for a few minutes before serving.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment